There are three different types of auditions, Prospective New Member (PNM), Existing Member (EM) and Concert Specific Audition (CSA).
A PNM audition lasts about 10 minutes and consists of four parts:
- Some scales/arpeggios so that the musical director can determine a singer’s range
- Some sight reading
- An aural test (usually a singer is asked to sing the middle note of three)
- A prepared piece
An EM audition is effectively a re-audition. Once a singer has passed their PNM audition they must re-audition at least every three years to be eligible to continue singing with the Choir. Singers audition with their voice parts, altos one year, sopranos the next, then tenors and basses. The EM audition lasts for about six minutes and consists of two parts:
- Some scales/arpeggios
- A prepared piece
A CSA is for those singers who have missed too many rehearsals to be eligible to sing in a concert but who wish to perform. These singers must satisfy the auditioner that they know the work sufficiently well to be able to participate. At a CSA, the auditioner will open any page of the work(s) to be performed, start playing the piano and invite the singer to join in. A CSA will last for about three minutes.
Only the musical director and an accompanist is with a singer at their audition.
Dates of auditions are subject to change but are currently as follows:
- 27 September (new member auditions)
- 4 October (new member auditions)
- 11 October (new member/concert specific/alto re-auditions)
- 13 December (concert specific auditions)
- 24 January (new member auditions)
- 31 January (new member auditions)
- 7 February (soprano re-auditions)
- 21 February (soprano re-auditions)
- 28 February (soprano re-auditions)
- 7 March (concert specific/soprano re-auditions)
- 18 April (soprano re-auditions)
- 25 April (soprano re-auditions)
- 2 May (new member auditions)
- 9 May (soprano re-auditions)
- 16 May (soprano re-auditions)
- 23 May (soprano re-auditions)
- 6 June (soprano re-auditions)
- 13 June (concert specific/soprano re-auditions)
A singer tells the Choir Manager that they wish to audition after they have rehearsed with the Choir two or three times. The Choir Manager will liaise with the Auditions Manager who will organise the auditions schedules and communicate by email with those involved. Auditions scheduled for Wednesdays will take place between 6pm and 7pm at our usual rehearsal venue.
Altos audition in 2017, Sopranos in 2018, Tenors and Basses in 2019.